Thursday, September 11, 2014

To Upgrade or Not?

      "’Today, we are launching the biggest advancement in the history of iPhone,’ Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said.” Obviously everyone has heard about the new iPhone 6 release on Tuesday of this week. Apple released two different versions of the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple claims that this is a breakthrough and will revolutionize their technology.

Screen
      The iPhone 6 has a 4.7-inch screen and the iPhone 6 Plus will have a 5.5-inch display, larger than its current four-inch screen. Both of the new iPhone 6s will actually have a larger screen than its competitor, the Samsung Galaxy S5. The Samsung Galaxy S5 only has a 5.1-inch screen. “Apple's main smartphone rival Samsung Electronics Co. has pushed aggressively into larger-size smartphones, using the bigger screen as a key differentiator from the iPhone. For smartphones with screens of 5 inches or larger, Samsung is the leader, with 34 percent of the market, according to Canalys,” iPhone made their new phones with this statement in mind. Both iPhones also has the new Retina HD display. The iPhone 6 has 1334×750 resolution while the iPhone 6 Pus has 1920x1080 resolution.

Price
      With a two year contract the iPhone 6 will cost about $199 while the iPhone 6 Plus will cost about $299. “Apple pushed the price of its high-end iPhone higher, even as other manufacturers feel pricing pressure on smartphones. Apple's iPhone is already more expensive than nearly all of its competitors.” Even though the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus haven’t even been released to the market yet for pre-order, Walmart has already lowed the price by $20.

Under the Hood
     “The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have received new internals in the form of an A8 chip and M8 motion co-processor, providing desktop-class 64-bit processing power. The chip promises to be 25 percent faster and 50 percent more efficient than the A7, with a quoted 14 hours talk time on 3G for the iPhone 6 and a whopping 24 hours on 3G for the iPhone 6 Plus — more than double what Apple quoted for the iPhone 5S (10 hours).”


Actual Phone
      The new iPhone now has the ability to put the home screen into landscape perspective. Apple also put more keys on the keyboard including a copy, paste, and cut button. “The new chassis marks the other big difference: the most radical redesign the iPhone has seen since its inception. Rounded anodized aluminum, a slightly-protruding camera module, much larger volume buttons and a new sleep/wake button on the side of the device have been designed to ensure everything is within reach when you need it, despite the increased size.” The thickness of the iPhone 6 in unbelievable, it is only 7.1mm compared to the 7.6mm of the iPhone 5. 

The real Question…
      The real question is, will you upgrade to the new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? With all of these improvements, which doesn’t even include the new wireless Apple payment system, how is it not convincing? Now we wait for the iPhone 7.
Article 1
Article 2

4 comments:

  1. I actually preordered my iPhone 6 Plus the other night right when Apple launched the system on their store. However, I contemplated the question of how big is too big? I think many Apple users are asking themselves this very question more than anything else. It isn't about the price, capacity, etc. It's the characteristic of size. On a positive note, Apple maintains great policies regarding returns and repairs. So I decided that I would order the bigger iPhone 6 Plus first, and then if I didn't like it I could always go back and get the smaller sibling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the big screens! My boyfriend has the Samsung Galaxy, Apple's competitor, and I have always loved the size. I use to have an android phone and I had nothing but problems with them. I live on a farm and I am very tough on phones, my old android screen would break al the time. I have never broke any of my iPhones. So ever since I switched to apple about five years ago, I refuse to go back. So of course I feel like I need the new iPhone! I am deciding if I should get it since I would have to buy out the rest of my current contract, but I think it would be well worth it!

      Delete
  2. No, I would not want an iPhone (maybe an iPad...) For me I would upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S5, because I have a Samsung Tablet... Also for the Samsung Galaxy S5 I really like what the camera has to offer, as well as the other and new features it has...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true that the Samsung has a better MP camera than the iPhone.

      Delete