Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sports Science Breaks Down Royals Defense


By: Trent Sullivan 



        What the Royals are doing right now in their first postseason appearance in nearly 30 years is amazing. The Royals wins have been fueled my great pitching, timely hitting, and some incredible defensive plays. Lorenzo Cain has lead the defensive charge and has his own highlight reel from the playoffs. 

The Sports Science team has been able to analyze Cain’s defensive plays and are able to break them down in ways never seen before. They have been able to figure out how fast Cain is running to track down fly balls in the gaps, the length of Cain’s stride at max speed and how much ground he can cover on any fly ball. 

As a college baseball play and a baseball fan, the efforts of the Sports Science team is amusable to me. The fact that Sport Science is able to quantify the qualitative in these plays is something we have not seen much of before. 

Naturally this time of the year many people who do not follow the regular season of baseball will tune into the playoffs. Do you think that these fans would appreciate the break down of some of these plays live? I think that professional baseball players are often overlooked as how good of athletes they really are. I think with the help of Sport Science breaking down there plays that people will understand how good of athletes some of these baseball players are. 

Are you a baseball fan or have you tuned into any of the MLB playoffs? As someone watching the game would you like to see the Sports Science team break down some plays live during the game? 


4 comments:

  1. Due to my limited baseball knowledge this breakdown helps me further grasp what is driving the Royals to this unbelievable run. I only tune in for the playoffs so it is nice to be able to actually understand what I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the fact that these experts can completely dissect an athletes performance into specific metrics, just from video alone, amazing and very interesting. It does help you to realize just how impressive some of the things that they make seem ordinary, really are. I'm not a huge baseball fan myself, but the breakdowns in these videos give me a new appreciation for these guys. It's awesome to see this specific business industry use technology and the web to spur an added interest to people they might not have reached otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a baseball fan and it is my favorite sport to watch. I have watched every single playoff game that the Royals played. I see the sports science team break down very helpful and I would love to learn more and see what they think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite parts about watching the Royals in the post season is when they talk about how fast these players are running the bases. I think technology like this really puts into perspective for the average Joe sport watcher how talented and incredible these athletes really are.

    ReplyDelete